Stubbs & Wootton... I Reminisce...




Growing up as a kid in Palm Beach, Florida I only ever had one job before I abruptly said screw it and joined the Marines in sought of adventure and a lot more life changing experiences. That job was working for Percy Steinhart at the venerable Worth Ave. location of Stubbs & Wootton in Palm Beach. I had no clue about the footwear game or much of fashion in those days when my high school girlfriend at the time had her friend hook me up with the job but it was a job I would never forget.

Going to the shop each day selling waspy shoes to rich men's wives and socialites was not the worst job in the world at all... Along the way I got to know Percy a bit more as well as his love for art... I was a painter and an avid musician back then and Percy and I would always discuss artists and paintings and which art school I should attend... He collected fine Cuban art which hung around his offices and homes. The best thing I can remember is doing a painting with my best friend as a collaboration around the time, Mr. Greg Mike... I was a senior in high school and the annual holiday gift exchange had come about and I had none other than by chance been picked as Percy's "secret Santa"... So what did I give Mr. Steinhart? I gave him the collaboration painting of course... I guess you could say being young I doubted my artistic abilities... When he received the painting he liked it so much that he framed it and hung it up in his Palm Beach office where it hangs today... That's what I think of to this day when I think of Subbs & Wootton oddly enough, rather than the image of timely well crafted English style footwear...

So today when I read in the Moment that Stubbs had re-opened a store on Madison Ave. here in New York I was delighted and often reminded of my youth as one can be. Be sure to check out the new store on Madison Ave. if you're looking for some official footwear, of the WASP kind of course...